Monday, February 28, 2011

Information Overload

Every day, we are surrounded by tons and tons of media. From our phones, to the TV, to the computer, and iPods, the list goes on and on! Every day, there is more information being added to all of these places, there seems like there is no escape from the information overload. I personally enjoy all of these things, but I do think it’s funny how we go throughout our days stressing about school, work, family, bills, etc. and our way of “relaxing” is to sit down and watch TV or play on the computer, and we’re really just adding to the information overload of the day.
William Van Winkle wrote a web article about just this. He believes that technology is diminishing productivity in the workplace. More people are playing solitaire and surfing the web than doing their job. He also explores a phrase called “information fatigue syndrome.” Almost everyone has become addicted to technology in some way, shape, or form. There was a psychological study done on the stress that technology is causing people. Some side effects of information overload are stated as: rise in blood pressure, weakened vision, frustration, confusion, and an overall grumpy mood.
Suggestions to stay away from the stress that information overload causes, is to limit ones interaction with technology. It’s definitely a hard thing to do, I know I would have a hard time not checking my email or facebook all the time, but I bet it would help a lot of people to lower stress levels if we all limited the technology in our lives a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment