So, over the past few weeks, I have learned a lot about information quality, overload and how the computer contributes to learning. I first learned about how some people are becoming addicted to the internet; people are becoming overloaded with the information found on the internet and even becoming obsessed with it. Then I explored if Wikipedia really was an irresponsible source and found that there is a lot of skepticism on if it is or not. Then I discovered that people are starting learning on computers earlier in a child’s life now. I think that it is smarter to allow children to learn in a tangible way than over the computer. I also discovered that a lot of people tend to use the internet as resources for their ailments, which isn’t always the smartest thing to do. Then I explored the quality of a library versus a computer and discovered that computers are trying to be placed in classrooms all over.
To me, I think the world has relied too much on the ease of the computer to do their work. We have forgotten how to physically do labor. We need to remember those skills that used to be before the internet came along. For more information on information quality, information overload and learning, check out the Born Digital website! The introduction to the book is on the web page.
Well I feel that with the appropriate knowledge of reliable vs. unreliable sites the internet can be used for most anything. I feel that people need to stop worrying about the quality of data from sites and learn how to compare websites and filter out the ones that don't have any merit to them. I feel that the real issue is that people act too ignorant. As for the physical labor issue. For the most part the only way computers have taken over labor is cutting out parts of manual labor. Manual labor is for the uneducated and is typically only used in factory lines. I feel that this is not an issue at all.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your comment on how soft we have become, but with the promotion of synergy and economics I feel that we are digitizing our way to physical extinction...
ReplyDelete