Monday, April 18, 2011

Computers for Learning

The United States General Services Administration is promoting the Computers for Learning program. The purpose of this program is to encourage opportunity for children to learn to the fullest. This order encourages computers to be placed in every classroom of a school or non-profit educational program. The goal is to integrate computers into the daily life of learning for every student to reach their potential.
                I do not agree with this program. I think that computers are very helpful in many things and they definitely have become a huge part of our daily lives but I believe that encouraging the use of computers in the classroom takes away from the learning experience. The computer takes away from the development of social skills. People begin to rely on technology to talk to others and face-to-face relationships are becoming extinct. Interaction between the student and the teacher would then be limited to the computer. I also believe that students get very distracted by the unlimited access they have available through the computer. Instead of using the computer for homework, it is instead used as a distraction from school.
                I think that common skills like talking to a teacher about a paper or asking the librarian for help finding a book are important in daily lives which are taken away by the computer. Computers are very useful and extremely helpful but I am a strong supporter of keeping computer access limited.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Juli,

    I completely agree with you about how computers in a way are being abused to communicate with others and are taking away from face-to-face interaction. Although I do also agree with the program just not the part that computers should be placed in every room. There many schools in our country that receive enough funds to buy computers, but if the computers they would have received for every classroom be used to set up as lab. Then I would say that's a better idea because yes computers today do indeed cause a lot of distraction, but these kids that are not fortunate enough have a computer need to learn how to correctly use one in order to have a chance to be successful in our fast paced world. Over all I like your topic good job.

    ReplyDelete